Thursday, December 5, 2013

Souq Waqif - Doha


Souq Waqif

Souq Waqif

Souq Waqif

Souqs are popular in Northern Africa and the Middle East, essentially they are open-air markets where goods are sold from food to clothing and sometimes animals. Outside of the Middle East, open-air markets are popular in other parts of Africa, South America and Asia. But, I must say the Qatari souq was unique in that it seemed relatively calm in comparison to other souqs I've been. The crowd was mixed with Qataris, expats, and immigrants, it made the souq feel like an aspect of daily life rather than a staged market. I managed to haggle my way to getting some beads, a ring, and mini camel. Because, I couldn't fit an actual camel in my carry-on? It's definitely a must see when you're around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment