Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Quest to No BS


As promised, I have decided to make an effort to try and do something that scares me each day. Not going to lie, I wasn’t perfect and I didn’t do something that scared me everyday. I realized I couldn’t think of anything that really scared or challenged me. Why? Two answers. 1. Perhaps, I have become complacent in my daily routine or 2. I’ve conquered all that is scary. Clearly, I haven’t conquered all that is scary, so I guess I have been unknowingly complacent. I guess ignorance isn’t always bliss.

Thus, the other day I embarked on something that scared the crap out of me. I’m sure you’ve been to an event with a super cool person, celebrity, etc. If you’re feeling confident you muster up the courage to introduce yourself to that awesome person. If a connection is made, usually business cards are exchanged and then bravo you’ve networked. Hah! Yeah right, that’s the easy part. Believe it or not, now you must follow up not once, not twice, but perhaps continuously.

FACT 1 – I am not the best “follow-uper” all the time
FACT 2 – Who cares? Who’s judging?

Momma B, always says, “The worst they can say is no” And, that is true, the worst they can do is ignore your follow-up email/phone call/etc. At that point you could try again or move on. The choice is up to you. So here is my case study of what happened to me this week.

CASE STUDY
So, I decided to reach out to this really accomplished woman I met initially in 2010 at an event. Believe it or not I met her while I was participating in a Yoko Ono piece (Yeah, Yoko Ono sort of random, but true). Anyway, I thought she was cool, but I didn’t get her business card. Fast forward to the summer of 2012 in Munich, Germany, I met her again! Her no frills attitude about intimate aspects of life inspired me as a twenty something who is attempting to develop such an aura about life. I could’ve emailed her that summer, but no I didn’t until recently when I thought about how inspiring she was. So this week I crafted a semi-punchy email (short and sweet) highlighting why she should talk to me. SENT. BOOM.

Did she email me back?

Indeed she did. Initially she did, but then the email turned super unoriginal.  Borderline intern copy and paste status. Moral of the story…always try. Will I give up? Probably not, I’ll email her again to follow-up. Beyond the ‘don’t give up mentality,’ I’ve come to realize you don’t need a “Super Guru” to mentor you in the flesh rather you could meet those people around you that can hold you accountable. Thus, my next step will be to find a normal awesome person within my midst to mentor me on my quest to NOOO BS. Wish me luck!

XO  

No comments:

Post a Comment